Well tomorrow is go day and I am ready. The bags are packed the last parcels mailed and the apartment is an empty shell again. It's been a strange couple of days actually. People have been saying goodbye and dropping by to go through our stuff. I managed to sell most of the big stuff and we have been mailing boxes over the last couple of months so the place really is empty tonight. I took some photos of the place to demonstrate just how spartan it is but forgot that I have already packed the card reader in the bottom of my bag. Doh! Now I love packing as much as the next person but repacking bites! So this post will be picture-less until I get home and upload.
The bag, room to spare.
I had my last trip into Nanchang today to pick up a Qi Pao (Chinese traditional dress, you know the slinky ones, yeah those ones) for Michelle and feared that I might not make it back alive. As I set off the sky opened up and pelted big thunderstorm sized drops that had the gutters swimming in moments. Luckily I got a cab right outside the gate and we set off. Its an extra long journey at the moment as the closest and most convienient bridge, Ba Yi (August First) bridge is closed. So we have to take another bridge to the Northern suburbs and then make our way through the city to the South where I needed to get the Qi Pao. All the while the storm raged and the sheets of water across the roads deepened. Actually I am constantly amazed at the lack of drainage on the roads here, although with their history of damming rivers perhaps the roads are sources of cheap hydro power? Anyway I made it there and back in one piece and managed to get the Qi Pao too.
This tornado, water spout thing was seen in the sky just days before I left...perhaps an omen?? Definitely weird!!
So tomorrow I head off to the airport (thankfully not through the city) at 11:30 for my flight to Shanghai at 1:30. Then it's off to Pudong International Airport for the flight to Sydney at 7:35 pm. Then I'll come up smiling on Thursday!!
Wish me luck and I'll see you all soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment