Monday, September 8, 2008

Ahh Nanchang...the tourist capital of China...not!!

On Sunday Alice and I did the Nanchang tourist crawl. This consists of a visit to two places. The home of Ba Da Shan Ren and Teng Wang Ge (a pavilion on the river). We ended up with a guide called Helen (one of the students at the Uni) who had never been to either place. 

As it was my second visit to Ba Da Shan Ren's house and fourth time at Teng Wang Ge (I told you there was no where to go didn't I?)  I felt like the guide. Still it was a good day and we had a good wander around the sights before being taken to lunch...and all courtesy of the University. So here are some pictures so that you may wonder at the curiosities of the dusky orient!!!
Ba Da Shan Ren was an artist whose real name was Zhu Da (1626-1705). He lived and worked in a quiet traditional courtyard house near a lake on the current outskirts of Nanchang. The house is peaceful and cool as you can see from the courtyard above.
Some of the fretwork doors opening onto a courtyard...nice!

One of Zha Da's paintings. Sorry not a good shot...

Teng Wang Ge is one of the more famous towers South of the Yangtse river. It's current concrete form is due to several fires throughout the last couple of centuries. It is impressive.

Michelle's Mum Alice and our student guide (come tourist) Helen at Teng Wang Ge.

No comments: